But there is good news to report, Public Works Director Art Simonian told members of the Berlin Town Council. The schools construction work remains on schedule and despite the noticeable changes, collaborative efforts have helped to address issues with minimal impact on students.
"There's quite a bit of activity going on inside the school, but fortunately it is activity that the teachers, students and staff are not even aware of," Simonian said. "We are in Phase II of construction and everything needed is operational."
Simonian told council members that although the school looks "quite different" inside, the work continues with no complaints regarding either sound nor vibration. He said the walls, designed with special sound barriers, have helped prevent disruption the classes as the work continues.
School Superintendent David Erwin told members of the Berlin Board of Education last week that although there are challenges, the project has gone as well as the town could have hoped.
Erwin and Simonian said the biggest challenge so far has been dealing with the loss of a cafeteria and plans are in place to prevent it from affecting school operations.
Hot lunches are currently prepared in a satellite set-up at McGee and partnership with the town's highway department has allowed the lunches to remain hot as they are delivered to Berlin High School, said Town Manager Denise McNair.
The secondary gymnasium is serving as a joint cafeteria and study hall, they she said, with virtually no issues to report.
"It’s really something to see and it's all been coordinated with a partnership between the Board of Education and town forces," she said.
Here's a look at the latest checklist, provided through the Berlin town website as part of ongoing construction updates at the school:
- Final details on the metal building have been completed.
- Masonry work is complete.
- Drywall is complete and painted.
- Mechanical and electrical trim out is complete.
- Move in and tie in of existing temporary equipment is in progress.
- Certificate of Occupancy was approved on Aug. 15.
- Asbestos and PBC abatement work is complete in the area to be renovated this year.
- Demolition work is ongoing.
- Temporary hallways are complete to separate students from construction.
- Temporary locker facilities are ready sports teams.
Ongoing 30-Day Look Ahead:
- Finish move in of any existing shop equipment.
- Finish tie in of existing shop equipment.
- Wrap up punchlist work.
- Continue demolition.
- Coordinate with the school on any noise containment.
- Begin rough in of new partitions and building infrastructure.
For more on the high school construction, click the link provided.
Make sure to like Berlin Patch on Facebook and follow on Twitter for breaking news, daily updates and more!