1. Name: Kristin M. Campanelli
2. Occupation/Employer: Attorney, State of Connecticut
3. Incumbent/Newcomer: Incumbent
4. Other Political offices held and run for: Berlin Board of Education 2009-2012
5. Community Service: I most recently had the privilege of being dunked at the Berlin Fair to support the Berlin High School Band Parents Association.
6. Biggest issues facing the school system: Over the next few years one of the most important issues facing the school system will be working hard to keep focus on continuous improvement for student achievement in tough financial times. Like most school districts across the state, Berlin is not immune from the negative impact of unfunded State and Federal mandates while resources continue to be reduced. I am confident in the abilities of our school system’s professional staff and our Board to do what is best for Berlin. Continuing to build a strong partnership with Town Hall and the Town Council will be even more vital moving forward as issues that face our school system require collective decision-making.
7. Any areas of special interest that you would like to concentrate on if elected: If re-elected, I hope to continue to focus on protecting the excellence of Berlin Public Schools education in tough financial times, educate all students to be successful in college and career and ensure that tax dollars are spent on programs that work.
8. Anything else you would like to add about yourself and why you hope the voters will choose you: I grew up in Berlin. I went to school right here at Hubbard Elementary, McGee Middle School and graduated a Redcoat from BHS. I graduated from Syracuse University College of Law in May 2009 and came back home to serve my community.
This is where I learned what matters, is not your name but what you get done. It’s where I learned that you usually get more done when you work with people than when you fight with them.
But, it’s where I’ve also learned that you have to take on tough challenges and that making a real difference in people’s lives is what matters most.
I am running for a second term on the Berlin Board of Education based on my own record of service to the people of Berlin.
The people of Berlin, by their votes, entrusted me with the important privilege of serving on Board of Education in November 2009.
As a BOE member my proudest accomplishment was to stand up for the future of our community and help pass, alongside hundreds of parents, grandparents, neighbors and students, the high school renovation project in March 2011. Our commitment to continuous improvement leading to student achievement and success has set our district among the top echelon of school systems in the State.
This is where I grew up, where I went to public school and where I know one day I will raise a family. I know what this community is, I know what it has been and I know what it can still become. I need your vote on November 6th 2012.