Manchester Man Charged in East Hartford Bike Fatality Rearrested, Held On $2.125 Million Bond

Manchester Police arrested Paul Andrew Bato in the driveway of his home last weekend for skipping his court date and held him on a $2.125 million bond.

A 46-year old Manchester man was arrested in the driveway of his Birch Mountain Road Home on Saturday and held on a combined $2.125 million bond after he failed to show up to court the previous Wednesday. The man, 46 year old Paul Andrew Bato, is facing second-degree manslaughter, reckless driving and drunk driving charges from a September 1, 2011, incident in which he is alleged to have struck and killed a bicyclist. 

According to numerous media reports, Bato was driving a red Corvette on Burnside Avenue in East Hartford on September 1, 2011, when he struck William Laramie, a 56-year old East Hartford man riding a bicycle. Laramie was taken to Hartford Hospital, where he died from his injuries a short time later. 

Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone every day with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.

Bato was charged with reckless driving, operating a motor vehicle under the influence of drugs or alcohol, failure to yield to a pedestrian and second-degree manslaughter with a motor vehicle for the incident. He was scheduled to appear in court on the charges last Wednesday, June 20, but did not show up. 

Manchester Police said they arrested Bato behind the wheel of his car at his 536 Birch Mountain Rd. residence Saturday. Police charged Bato with three counts of failure to appear, reckless driving and operating a motor vehicle while under suspension. Police set the total amount of his bond at $2.125 million, but Bato appeared before a Manchester Superior Court judge Monday who released him on his initial bond; Bato's bond for this offenses totaled $875,1000. 

Since Bato's arrest last September, he has also been and charged with first-degree harassment, second-degree threatening and breach of peace, and arrested again on May 21 of this year and charged with reckless driving and illegally operating a motor vehicle under suspension. He was released on the harassment charges on a $125,000 bond and was released on the reckless driving charges on a $225,000 bond. Bato is next scheduled to appear in court on August 2, 2012. For the incidents, Bato has been released on bonds totalling a combined $1.125 million. 

Bato has a previous conviction for drunk driving dating back to 2001, according to the Hartford Courant

Are you a fan of Manchester Patch? Then show us the love by following us on Facebook or Twitter! It's the best way to get updates on all the latest news and information in Manchester as it happens.

Steve Cosmo June 27, 2012 at 04:28 PM
So he's been arrested twice for "operating a motor vehicle while under suspension" and is a serious risk to the public, but the court makes sure he's able to get back on the streets as soon as possable.
Mike December 04, 2012 at 11:20 PM
this guy is the definition of trailer park trash


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »