Aside from a slightly cordoned off lighting unit, there is little to see at Berlin Peck Memorial Library Wednesday that would indicate why the facility was forced to close and evacuate on Tuesday evening.
"The odor was from a light fixture that was overheating," said Helen Aveline, library director. "Staff evacuated
the building and the fire department arrived quickly to determine the
No damage was done except to the light and we are open as usual
today," she said.
Police and fire responded to the scene around 7:45 p.m. after a library patron smelled something that made staff concerned, police and fire officials said. The library was evacuated as a precautionary measure, but no serious threat was found.
The issue with the light fixture has been addressed, officials said. The library is providing a one day forgiveness on any fines for late returns as a result of the Tuesday incident.
Make sure to like Berlin Patch on Facebook and follow on Twitter for breaking news, daily updates and more!